www.the-reel-mccoy.net

Monday, February 25, 2008

And The Oscar Goes To...

Well, the 80th annual Oscars are finally here. Thankfully, the Writers Strike is over and Hollywood gets to have its big night. So far, it's turning out to be an interesting night. For those of you keeping track, I made some Oscar predictions last month in some of the major categories. Now that the awards are finally being handed out, let's see how much I got right:

Best Adapted Screenplay: Ethan Coen and Joel Coen and No Country for Old Men No surprise here. This movie has had a lot of buzz behind it and it looks to be the Coens' year.

Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for Juno. She wrote the 2007 "little movie that could". And now she's been rewarded for it. I stand by what I said before: Ms. Cody is likely to have an impressive career, and she's one to watch. It's going to be interesting to see what she writes as her next 2-3 movies.

Best Cinematography: There Will Be Blood. Ok, I was completely wrong about this one. Shows how much I know.

Best Original Score: Dario Marianelli (Atonement). Missed this one, too.

Best Animated Feature: Ratatouille. While I'm disappointed that Persepolis didn't win (and I saw this one coming for miles), I thoroughly enjoyed Brad Bird's acceptance speech. Let's see if Pixar takes it again next year for Wall*E.

Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton. Disappointed that neither Ruby Dee nor Cate Blanchett won, but kudos to Ms. Swinton for a knockout performance.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men. Do I see a pattern developing?

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose. So much for my theory about honoring film veterans. And, unfortunately, I was proved right about Ms. Blanchett: no Oscar gold goes home with her tonight.

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for his role in There Will Be Blood. Just goes to show you that you should never bet against the favorite in the big races.

Best Director: By this time, if anyone doubts that this is the Coen brothers' year, you should catch a clue. Just one more award to go. I wonder who will walk away with it? Hmmm....

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men. The night does indeed belong to Ethan & Joel Coen. Congratulations, guys. My only disappointment is that they didn't win for Best Editing. I've always wanted to see who this "Roderick Jaynes" fellow is. ;)

Well, maybe next time.

Speaking of which, it's past my bedtime. So I'm going to wrap this up. Let's try this again next year when a whole new crop of movies and nominees will step up to take Oscar home. Until then, that's it for my look at the Academy Awards.

1 comment:

MissFilmFan said...

Hey I get to be the first comment for this blog entry. Woo-hoo!!! Anyway, I have to say I was glad to see Peter & the Wolf win for Best Animated Short. All 5 nominees were interesting (I had the chance to see them together at the Midtown Landmark), but Peter & the Wolf had the most audience reaction. There was no dialog, just image, sound FX and music. It was very well done, in my humble opinion.