www.the-reel-mccoy.net

Friday, April 29, 2011

Turner Classic Movies Classic Film Festival - Day 2 (Pt. I: Royal Daze and a British Screen Legend)


This was a good day.

It started with an early screening of the 1964 Richard Burton/Peter O'Toole classic, Becket. I got to the theater (Graumann's Egyptian) an hour early (8:00 a.m. PST) only to discover that there was already a line for the film. A long one. But that was okay, for, as I was soon to learn, there was plenty of room in the auditorium, and getting a seat was no problem.

Heck, it was actually a lot of fun waiting in line, chatting with other festival attendees (not to mention flirting with one of the festival staff members as she handed out numbered slips for festival passholders in line, which gave us some priority over those who bought tickets for this single screening). You could feel the excitement coming from the other attendees, as we were all eager to discuss one aspect of the festival or another, as well as our love of film in general.


It was a real treat to see the famous Egyptian Theater up close, as this was my first time there. What I didn't know before this day was that it was the home of the American Cinematheque. The Egyptian decor was a sight to see (and an interesting contrast to the more famous Graumann's Chinese Theater). The interior was as much of a visual treat as the outside. Particularly impressive was the wrought iron ceiling work. That, along with the large screen and numerous seats, made for a wonderful film viewing venue.


All of this played wonderfully into setting the mood for the feature presentation itself: Becket. I realized as I watched the film that I'd never seen this movie all the way through. It was an amazing experience. For those who don't know, Becket is the story of real life 12th-century friends, Thomas Becket and King Henry II of England. Henry (played by Peter O'Toole) is the grandson of Norman invader William the Conqueror. Becket, played by Richard Burton, is a Saxon who is constantly reminded by those in the king's court (and the church) of his inferior status as one of the conquered.


Despite their differences, Becket and King Henry are good friends who find ways to further secure the king's position, at the same time irritating those who resent Henry and his cavalier ways. Their friendship faces a major test when Henry elevates his friend (already the chancellor of the realm) to the position of Archbishop of Canterbury. Much to Henry's surprise, Becket takes the position and its responsibilities to heart. As archbishop, it is Becket's devotion to both God and his fellow man (and not to his king), that ultimately drives a wedge between the two friends and propels this incredible film to its powerful conclusion.

Becket was an amazing film that I'm glad to have finally seen in its entirety. It was a very moving experience, but not just because it's a great movie (which it is). You see, earlier this year, one of my cousins passed away. It wasn't until Michael's funeral that I learned that Becket was his favorite movie. My cousin and I had talked about our mutual love of movies on many occasions, but I never knew that this one was his very favorite.

So when I heard that Becket would be screened at the festival, I very much wanted to see it. I think for me, it became a way to honor my cousin's memory, so I'm glad I went. Now I think I see why Michael liked it so much. Great choice, Cuz.

If seeing this movie wasn't treat enough, it was all that more a memorable experience by the presence of one of its stars: Peter O'Toole. The actor showed up right after the screening to participate in a Q&A with TCM host Ben Mankiewicz. O'Toole, despite his years, proved that he's still a force to be reckoned with. He talked a good bit about the making of Becket, recalling several stories about his co-star, the late Richard Burton, with whom he shared a very close friendship.


O'Toole gave a great interview, full of warmth, wit and humor. And we in the audience ate it up, hanging on his every word, joke, and anecdote. It was a revelation to learn that TCM screened Becket at O'Toole's request. That says a lot, considering O'Toole's rich body of work, which includes my personal favorite of his films: Lawrence of Arabia. Getting to see and hear from the man who played T.E. Lawrence and King Henry II was a real treat and the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm so glad that I went to this festival!

Believe it or not, the day was just getting started with the Becket screening. It would continue with a screening of the Ray Harryhausen Dynamation vehicle, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. And this already very rich day would conclude with a screening of the Stanley Kubrick classic, Spartacus, with the great Kirk Douglas himself in attendance!

Since this entry is getting a little long, I'll cover the rest of Day 2 in my next post. Come back tomorrow for the rest of the tale...

No comments: